Sunday, September 20, 2009

Atlin



I am currently living in Atlin B.C. If you choose to google Atlin, you will undoubtedly find small blurbs on the beauty of the lake and the untamed wilderness along a few images involving mountains (likely with an RV in the background, complete with a retiree or two). Atlin is an unincorporated community located north of the 59th parallel (We are at 59.34). Its a secluded community since the road to Atlin...well, it only goes to Atlin. We are the destination. To get to us from the rest of BC, a traveler must first enter the Yukon, pass through Watson Lake and Teslin, then hang a left at Jake's corner. A small problem might arise if said traveler is expecting clear and obvious signage. It sneaks up on you, so keep your eye out. Also, you must take another left about 2 km down the road. This is a little clearer, since a helpful person spelled the directions out in Rocks (<-- A T L I N).

I moved here about a month ago. I had never been here and until just over a year ago I had no idea that the place existed. My reasons for moving here are for another day, but for now I will say this, I was driven North by a sense of adventure. The day I drove down the "highway" I was in awe. I've never seen a more beautiful place. I'm in love with the mountains and the lakes. However, when I say this out loud the locals look at me with nervous faces and say "yeah....you haven't been through the winter yet....get a hobby."

Blogging here I come.....

1 comment:

  1. Hobbies are good, as are warm boots. I am really looking forward to reading your future posts. I did not know where Fort Nelson was until I had sent some resumes north with a friend. I no longer live up there, but that is where some of the best friends I have ever made are...

    ReplyDelete