Monday, September 28, 2009

Unemployed

Last night the cook came to my house to inform me that I am out of a job. The Restaurant is shutting down for the winter. I found out less than 12 hours before my new shift. Obviously I am not impressed - I really like money. However, the absurdity seems somewhat fitting for my situation. I had to use the restaurant phone to call my boss and confirm if this was true...It is. So I did what any rational person would do - I looted the place...while on the phone with my boss. I told him "well, since I've got no job then I'm going to take some food with me". He didn't argue. I've got enough food to tide me over for a while. My boss mentioned that I could log some hours by cleaning up in there preparing for the shut down. I intend to do this at a nice leisurely pace.

Today was spent frantically getting together resumes and cover letters for possible job options. The small town magic has yet again worked in my favour. I went into a grocery store to see if they were hiring - they weren't. However, later in the day R. came by my house letting me know that he'd heard from the grocery store that I was looking for work and offered me a part time job. Now I'm going to try my hand at bar tending two nights a week. We'll see how that goes - since I have no idea what I'm doing!

I have also applied at the school as a substitute teacher and it looks promising. I go in tomorrow morning to meet with the principal again, plus hang out with kids and see how I get along with the teachers. I'm excited about that.

I really love this town. I hope I don't have to leave because I can't find work.

No comments:

Post a Comment